Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ok Here We Go


So for my first post I am going to take it deep. I have been reading a series of books called A New Kind of Christian by Brian D. McLaren and they have been blowing my mind. Now I will not try to describe the content of these book because: 1) It would be too difficult, 2) If I tried I would do a horrible job and you would think I'm crazy and 3) I would rather Mr. McLaren do the job. But to quickly explain how I came to read these books might give an insight into why I have found these so helpful.

Over the past few years I have slowly become more and more frustrated with religion. Now those of you who know me, know that I am a Christian and have been for a while. It is not the message of Christ that has been frustrating me nor the way God has worked in this world over the ages.(Though sometimes it is quite confusing) It has been what "Christians" have been doing in the name of Christ that has frustrated me. Now I know that not every Christian falls into this category and I would rather not judge anyone for that is not my job but God's. I can only truly speak for myself and those who I have seen make the same mistakes that I have. So here has been my problem.

I as a Christian am supposed to live up to a higher standard. Not because I am better than anyone else or because I HAVE TO but because I have seen what Christ did for me on the cross and my only response is to change the way I live s that it mirrors Jesus. Now, This is something that I fail to do everyday. I forget or I get lazy and I don't live up to the standard that I know God would want from me. So why do I keep failing? Why do I, when I get around my friends who are Christians, make comments that I know are inappropriate just to get a laugh? Why when I am in a car all by myself I feel it is ok to call the guy that is driving crazy a hurtful name? The bigger question is: In seeing what Jesus did for me, why am I not desperately trying to be like Jesus? Now I don't mean the kind of desperate where I see my sin and turn to God for forgiveness, but the kind of desperate like when someone is playing in the ocean and they are hit by a huge wave and are thrown down deep and the person begins to panic and struggle for the surface to take a deep breath of life giving air. Thats the kind of desperate I am taking about.

Now I know I sound a little harsh. You might be thinking "But Casey you are only human. Only Jesus was that kind of perfect." I am not talking about being perfect and sinless. You wold be right in your statement that only Jesus was without sin. But why do I seem to forget what Jesus did for me so easily? Maybe I am only human and maybe that is the reason. Maybe I am just a prodigal son who needs to keep coming home.
But I feel deep down inside of me that there is something missing in my perspective that keeps me from the sense of desperation I seek. Now here is where the books come in.

In talking to one of my closest friends about this very subject he suggested that I read this series of books as a way to maybe get some perspective. The basis of the series is to look at the Postmodern church in comparison to the Modern Church. It is written in a fictional story about a pastor who is thinking about leaving ministry to become a school teacher and he seeks advice from one of his daughters teachers. There relationship turns from discussing how to become a teacher to why the pastor wants to leave the ministry. The ensuing story is very difficult for the pastor yet very fruitful as well. These books have really opened my eyes to how I have viewed Christianity in the past and I am beginning to feel that desperation that I have longed for for so long.

Now I do not take anything in this series of books as Biblical truth. But the questions that are raised make me think and keep me stretching closer and closer to Jesus. And I do believe that if we become spiritually stagnate in our beliefs, not trying to discuss difficult topics because they are uncomfortable or aren't politically correct, we become just like a puddle of sitting water that overtimes becomes void of the properties that bring life.

So with these thoughts in mind, my question to you is: why are we as modern American Christians, so quick to forget the work of Jesus and his two most important commands which are: love God with all your heart, soul and mind and love your neighbor as yourself? Please don't go for the easy answer but try to stretch yourself to dig a little bit deeper.

Your thoughts please.
Grace and Peace

4 comments:

  1. Interesting blog Casey, The search for relevance and the question of how one lives and presents one's faith in Chris is, I would say, a daily exercise. And, I believe, it is something we need to do on a regular basis if we wish to continue to grow in Christ. In answer to your question, I'm not sure we as Christians are as prone to forget the two most important commandments as we are to forget what they mean. I think what we need to do is really look at those two commandments and try and figure out what it really means to love your neighbor as yourself. God loves us in a way that is indescribable, yet he allows things to happen to us and judges us in ways that may seem incredibly harsh. If I love my neighbor, do I merely extend the hand of friendship, or do I understand that God may use me in a way that seems harsh and cruel. God wiped out entire nations, crushed peoples in leading Israel to the promised land. Was that wrong? I'm sure if put in a different context many Christians would think so... yet it was out of His undying love for his people that these events took place.

    Anyway, I would say, before we decide whether we've forgotten, maybe we should decide whether we ever understood to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. I like you am frustrated with the direction of the church and it is interesting that God has brought me to Luke 5 and the religious ruler also. I find it interesting that the ruler was so quick to answer the question as many Christians are able to today. He knew them, but he did not fully understand them. We understand we need to love people but many times it is as if only if they are willing to live up to Christian standards, when this is not what it says. It says LOVE others the way we want to be loved. To me I am a selfish jerk most of the time and i struggle with this, but I learned in my life the more time I spend with Christ and realize that i bring nothing to Him in our relationship I am amazed at how humble before Him I feel. I do not deserve His love but as Romans 12 says He did everything to bring me into a relationship with Him. Yet, by the end of the Chapter He is reminding us that as we love Him we are to love others because He first loved us. I think sometimes we need to be reminded of the simple fact that people do not deserve Christ but He is still there for all of us. It is only through Him that we can become living sacrifices. The Message version is incredible in describing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse me while I repress the urge to say "that's what he/she said." I personally feel like we live in a world that has become progressively immoral and it almost makes sense why young people stay or stray from Jesus and the Church; but where does that leave Christians? At times I wish I could be like the three monkey statue not hearing, seeing, or saying evil but that would be cowardly. It is hard to say that I am thankful for the darkness in the world; however, it does remind me how sweet the light is. There are two horrible things that happen to Christians in this world: fanaticism and stagnation. These are the underlying forces behind many of the Christians that frustrate me; they are crazy fanatic that preach a message of hate and forget about the love Christ had for all and the massage of loving thy neighbor and there are the others believe but don't live their faith.
    I appreciate the thoughts and prayers your blog has encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im sooo glad you are blogging now. i like to think of blogging as a record of my ignorant life that i can look back on years from now and remember my mental/spiritual journey with the help of mr. world wide web (unless the economy forces blogger to go bankrupt and start selling peoples blogs for 70-75% off.. im just sayin.. you never know)..

    anywayz, more than my frustration in christians, sometimes i wonder whether our "christian" mistakes/shortcomings are a result of misuse of grace or sometimes is it just the result of being human.. now, you dont have to remind me of the ways christianity or the church has been slacking cause im painfully aware of those things..

    once in a while though, it sometimes feels possible to believe that i have been blind for some time and i need god to redirect my path especially when it comes to loving god and loving people.. i spent a couple years bein pissed at the church and eventually when i put down my fist, i saw that the church is trying.. its not always pretty but things are changing.. once in a while i like to thank god for allowing me to be a part of a generation that gets to see so much change happening instead of making me some israelite stuck in exile my whole life for sinning against him..

    ReplyDelete